Sunday 29 April 2018

#twima8: The World is my Audience



#twima8: The World is my Audience

Welcome to my new entry about #twima8. In this new entry, I´ll explain to you how to use Flipgrid and I will introduce you the initiative of #twima: The world is my Audience 8th edition.
The first thing we need to know is What is Flipgrid and how to use it.

What is Flipgrid and what is it for?



Flipgrid is a new resource that has been designed to promote open discussion among students. It is a super fast way to get students to share their thinking about whatever topic or idea a teacher assigns. 

What are the major features of this tool?


The five major features of Flipgrid are the grids, topics, responses, replies, and feedback.


Grids: These are basically the home base for each classroom content. This is where students will go to view topics that have been posted and post their responses.

Topics: Topics are started with a video and text explanation. Topics can revolve around anything you are studying or discussing in class.

Responses: Students are able to respond to topics on a laptop or mobile device. They have the power to pause, record, delete and flip their cameras in order to share their surroundings.

Replies: Students can post replies to other video postings. Entirely new discussions are fostered through threaded video responses.

Feedback: The feedback system allows for quick and rapid assessment through an emoticon rating scale. 


Check this video for more info:





How to use Flipgrid? Getting Started. For Educators.




Start by visiting the Sing up Flipgrid page.

After creating your account, you´ll need to add a new Grid to your collection. By clicking on"+ New Grid" button.



Then... Choose the type of Grid you want to create. In my example, I´ve chosen a Classroom.
Click on Classroom, Build your grid and Share with your students! 

















 After this, You can see your topics in your dashboard, like me!


Additionally, you can create your new grid from your dashboard by clicking also the "+ New Grid" button and following the intuitive steps:

1. Name your grid. A grid is where all the topics are kept.
2. This link is what the students will use to access the grid. Click here to go to my example.
3. I would always recommend filling in some type of purpose. I like to refer to these sections as a place to post your directions.
4. Click Create Grid.




Getting Started. For Students.

Have the students install the Flipgrid app on their iOS or Android device before attempting to answer the prompt.
After downloading the app, students must enter the teacher´s code and Click on the Topic. Once they´ve introduced the code they´ll see college responses and they can add their own by clicking on the + button.

This is "Twima8: The World is my Audience", the one shared for a teacher to get other teacher responses.






And this is my response.




I downloaded the app in my cell phone and this is how it looks.



I´m also in Twitter!



My opinion.

 

Flipgrid is meant to provide a digital space for students to share and reflect on ideas with their teacher and with their peers.  It’s a wonderful way to get students participating equally in discussions, and for students to hear their peers voices and insights.

Flipgrid is designed to help all students in a classroom have a voice and to help distribute discussion time equally, so that everyone is given an equal chance to contribute.

However, in order to respond at all, you do have to have a digital device, with an internet connection. Therefore, those students with limited or no technology access might be left out of the mix.  I think teachers would need to be familiar with their students’ technology situations in order to ensure that they could support access to Flipgrid for all students in their classroom.  
Maybe that looks like the teacher sharing his/her own device with these students during work time, or providing after school support in the classroom.  Regardless, that’s one issue that I think is important for teachers to consider when integrating Flipgrid, particularly if it’s being used in a classroom that doesn’t have one to one devices.


The other issue is pointed out in the comments on this post, and that is some students may feel uncomfortable in sharing videos of themselves this way.  Those students who feel uncomfortable speaking up in class.

I really have enjoyed this resource because I´ve had the opportunity to take part of something big. I´ve been one of the teachers with the opportunity of sharing my story and to learn from other colleges. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment